Survivors of domestic violence and their children often have to part with personal belongings and the necessary household items with which to start over. To address these losses and help families reestablish their homes, we accept donations of new and gently-used goods as needed, and according to our storage availability. All in-kind donations must be discussed with an administrative staffer to confirm immediate need or storage capacity. Please contact our administrative office at 845.562.5365 ext 124.
Below is a list of helpful personal care and household items that may be collected and donated as house-warming gifts to individuals and families who have transitioned through shelter or other forms of temporary housing:
New or Gently-Used:
- Kitchenware: pots & pans, utensils & silverware, dishes & glasses, small appliances, storage containers, etc.
- Laundry baskets
- Small furnishings (e.g., lamps)
- Towels (bath & kitchen)
- Sheet sets, blankets & comforters (twin or full-size)
- Shower curtains and bath mats
- Laundry supplies
- Cleaning agents and aids (brooms, mops, sponges, etc.)
- Trash cans & bags
- Paper products (napkins, paper towels, tissue, toilet paper)
- Foil & plastic wrap, zip-lock bags
- Personal hygiene supplies (full-size only)
- Hair accessories & hair care products for women of various ethnicities
- Women’s and children’s underwear and socks
- Baby diapers & wipes
- Baby formula, food jars & cereals
At Safe Homes we are very fortunate to receive frequent offers of new and gently-used clothing donations, but we have limited capacity to store and display clothing. To help us manage these offers and use them more efficiently, we have partnered with Bloomingdeals in New Windsor where our clients can be served through a voucher process or shop at a discounted rate, as appropriate. Therefore, it is very important that you call us to discuss your clothing donations, as some may be directed to Bloomingdeals for drop off.
We accept gently-used furniture when there is an immediate need and transportation is available. Safe Homes is not prepared to provide transportation. Please email us your offer of furniture with picture attachments, and let us know how long you have to dispose of the items, and whether you can offer transportation. Other arrangements might also be possible with Bloomingdeals of New Windsor.
FOOD DONATIONS & FOOD DRIVES
We accept donations of assorted non-perishable foods year-round. When planning a food drive, encourage your donors to think in terms of a day’s meals and the traditional food pyramid. Below is our list of most helpful food items:
- Breakfast cereals (low sugar) & oatmeal
- Coffee, tea, hot chocolate
- Sugars and artificial sweeteners
- Pancake mix & syrup
- Pasta & tomato sauce
- Rice & rice mixes
- Hamburger Helper
- Mashed potato mix
- Peanut butter & jelly
- Canned vegetables, beans and fruit
- Hearty soups & stews
- Canned tuna & chicken
- Ethnic foods & condiments
- Microwavable meals
- Fruit & pudding cups
- Juice & milk packets
- Cake & muffin mixes, jello
Safe Homes offers year-round opportunities to make a difference at the local level and to engage with your own community. You can spread and build on that sense of solidarity by joining with others—co-workers, circle of friends and family, church community—to brighten the holidays of Safe Homes’ adults and children, or by getting a child ready to for a new school year with a beautiful, new backpack stuffed with supplies. For creative types, you can also help boost our fundraising events with the donation a theme basket to auction off.
Here are some ideas to stay connect year-round:
- February: Valentine’s Day candy or goodie bags
- March: Easter Baskets
- April/May: Mother’s Day gifts (e.g., gift-bags of personal care items). Mother’s Day Donation Cards: for a gift of $15 we will send a Mother’s Day Card to, or in the name of, any woman you wish to honor
- Summer Months: Back-to-School drive of backpacks and school supplies for all ages and grades
- September/October: help us collect gift-cards, auction items, or create a themed raffle basket to be auction at Safe Homes’ annual fundraising dinner, The Celebration of Hope
- November: donate Thanksgiving baskets or food items and gift-cards for the purchase of turkeys or hams
- After Thanksgiving: Holiday Wish-List Adoption Program – adopt the wish lists of family receiving Safe Homes services. Ask us for details.
We are very grateful for long-term partnerships and seeking new ones to help provide for our clients’ emergency needs.